Thursday, August 3, 2006

Golden League, Golden Bases

The Golden Baseball League has brought to mind orange baseballs (remember that?) with their new bases ... that are golden.

According to a league press release, the bases were to have been put into use this week:
First, second and third base will be changed during a pre-game ceremony to reflect the new golden color with fans participating in the activity. Home plate will remain white to clearly delineate the strike zone.
As one that considers himself a purist ... I'm not sure just how I feel about golden bases. On the one hand, anything that draws fans to the park is a good thing. But I'm not sure if golden bases do that. If a jewelry store or chain signs on as a sponsor, then there'll be an indirect draw via advertising.

But messing with the field? I just don't know. I hope the golden bases don't adversely impact umpires. But with them keeping home plate white to "clearly delineate the strike zone," it indicates the golden color may be a problem for the men in blue.

I'm not sure golden bases are a good thing.

I'm not sure they're a bad thing, either.

No comments: