Wednesday, August 2, 2006

Baseball Disgrace

In an article on SI.com, columnist Tom Verducci lists what he calls the 10 most embarrassing moments in baseball.

As a baseball fan, I read such articles with fascination. However, those in my lifetime bring back unpleasant memories. Why would I dwell on such things?

Verducci says it "reminds us just how great an institution baseball is, for it has survived these." Yeah, maybe so. But reading them doesn't make me think, "Gosh, baseball's great!"

Rather, it reminds me that baseball is made up of flawed humans. Some make tragic mistakes. Some show a lack of concern for others. None of the items on the list show sportsmanship.

While he alludes to Phillies owner Bill Cox being banned from baseball for betting on his team, that incident doesn't make the list. Pete Rose's being banned for betting on the Reds does make the list (number 7).

I might take issue with the order in which he put some of the items. Number one, for instance.

Commissioner Kenesaw Landis in 1942 announces there is no policy, official or otherwise, barring blacks from baseball.
The supporting story behind retells the story that Landis colluded with NL president Ford Frick to make sure Bill Veeck couldn't buy the Phillies and hire Negro League players in 1943, and helped direct the sale to Cox instead. While the story was accepted as gospel for years, there are enough questions to cause -- in my mind, at least -- doubt about it.

Frick, for instance, put down a protest by St. Louis Cardinals players regarding Jackie Robinson's playing. Also, Baseball Digest reports Cox was a thorn in the side of Frick, suggesting to me that Frick wouldn't have supported Cox if he hadn't been the highest bidder for the Phillies.

So, I'm not so sure about the accuracy of number one. My personal choice would be number 5: The Steroid Era.

This chapter of baseball's disgrace isn't complete. And the fact it's still going on suggests that steroids may be overlooked ... for certain players, at least. And to me, that's baseball's biggest disgrace.

Bet on baseball ... on your own team ... and be banned for life. Use drugs ... get in the Hall of Fame.

If that's not a disgrace, I don't know what is.

Related: Don Surber

No comments: